Save the Nation Association with the financial aid of The Fund for Global Health conducted road assessment on World Bank funded road from Aposto- Wendo to Negele 268 K.M APL3 Project the major causes of road fatalities in Southern Nations and Nationalities and Peoples Region (SNNPR) Ethiopia, the study was conducted by the involvement of Region Traffic Police Officers, Victims of road traffic injuries, community found along the major route and the result of the road assessment were that high road fatalities were recorded among the major roads and the reasons for this were:-
- Narrow road without pedestrian way.
- Curved roads which do not have reflectors and traffic signs.
- The upgraded road started providing services for road users before the required reflectors and traffic signs were installed.
- When the traffic signs damaged were not regularly maintained.
- All road users’ carriages, cyclist, motorist, cattle and humans are using this 7 meter width road which is too narrow to host them.
In this assessment the most exposed persons for road fatalities were the elderly people and children in this investigation; the main cause for the road fatalities is that there is no any separate way for pedestrians. Finally the police officers concluded that road fatalities could have been prevented and reduced if pedestrian way were built, road was widen and the above listed points could have been implemented.